Owner Builders

From June 14th 2005 new owner-builder laws have been introduced by the Victorian Building Authority to provide greater protection for consumers, genuine owner-builders and registered building practitioners.


  • Must obtain a Certificate of Consent form the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out any domestic building work valued over $12,000.
  • May only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period
  • Must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the single dwelling.

In order to obtain a Certificate of Consent, owner-builder must:

  • Read the Owner-builder Information and Education Kit, sign the statutory declaration and complete the application form
  • Send the statutory declaration, application form, application fee and any supporting documentation to the Building Practitioners Board.

Download the Owner Builder Application Kit here

The Owner-builder Information and Education Kit are available from the Beaufort Office. Any queries regarding the new laws please contact the Victorian Building Authority on (03) 9285 6400, the Victorian Building Authority Website or call into the Beaufort Office.

We acknowledge the people past and present of the Wadawurrung, Dja Dja Wurrung, and Djab Wurrung tribes, whose land forms the Pyrenees Shire. We pay our respect to the customs, traditions and stewardship of the land by the elders and people of these tribes.

Page last updated: 4:26 PM, 23 October 2014
Disclaimer & Copyright  |  Accessibility  |  Privacy  |  Contact Us  |  Find Us  |  Subscribe