From June 14th 2005 new owner-builder laws have been introduced by the Building Commission in Victoria to provide greater protection for consumers, genuine owner-builders and registered building practitioners.
- Must obtain a Certificate of Consent form the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out any domestic building work valued over $12,000.
- May only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period
- Must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the single dwelling.
In order to obtain a Certificate of Consent, owner-builder must:
- Read the Owner-builder Information and Education Kit, sign the statutory declaration and complete the application form
- Send the statutory declaration, application form, application fee and any supporting documentation to the Building Practitioners Board.
The Owner-builder Information and Education Kit are available from the Beaufort Office. Any queries regarding the new laws please contact the Building Commission on (03) 9285 6400, Building Commission website or call into the Beaufort Office.
Owner Builder Checklist (PDF, 106 KB)
Owner Builder Application Kit (PDF, 1.8 MB)