Temporary Food Events

Applications to sell food at temporary events such as markets, fetes and festivals should be made using the Food Safety Program Template.

Applicants can complete and print the Event Details Form and forward it to Council at least 14 days prior to the event. The Food Safety Program template is retained by the applicant as their Food Safety Program.


When you need a Temporary Food Premises permit

Confusion exists among community groups, clubs and organisations regarding the specific circumstance for obtaining a temporary food premises permit.

Look up your situation below. Do this by determining if the event or function at which you are going to provide food is being held for members only, for members and member's guests or for members and the general public.

Situation Example Permit Required
Option One
Members Only
Pot luck lunches, suppers, dinners, coffee etc NO
Option Two
Members with Guests
Members invite a guest to attend function, invited speakers, visiting members from another club and food is provided as a supper/dinner. NO
Option Three
Members with general public
A fete / fair / open house etc is held that is publicized through signs/paper/radio etc as being an event open to the public.
Eg. A sausages sizzle / cake stall etc being held as a fundraiser or promotional activity in a public location.
*Catering for a wedding or party at a church or community hall

Member means: A person who is part of an organisation, club or congregation

Remember the exchange of money is not a requirement for a sale to occur. Even when food is given away at a public even you will still require a permit.

Please note that whilst catering for a party etc can be considered under option 2 (members with guests) it is included under Members with the General Public as 99% of these functions are paid for in some way. It may not be a direct payment to the Ladies Auxiliary but the costs may be covered or included as part of the costs for holding the service at the church / venue.

Labeling of Food Products sold at fund-raising events

Foods that are sold at Fundraising Events are specifically exempted from some of the labeling laws. However it is always a good idea to ensure that the products being sold by you or at an event you are organising can be identified.

Whilst you are exempt from the majority of labeling requirements you must comply with the Food standards codes in relation to mandatory prescribed statements (including warning statements), advisory statements and declarations.

The issue of labeling is extremely complex and you are welcome to speak with an environmental health officer regarding your specific products.

Mandatory warning signs & prescribed statements

In the case where mandatory warning statements and other prescribed statements are required, the statement must always be provided:

  • In writing
  • Displayed on or in connection with the display of the food.

Signs are required for:

  • Foods containing royal jelly or kava (please note specific wording must be used)
  • Genetically modified foods
  • Irradiated foods
  • Fermented meat products e.g. salamis
  • Individual portion packs not designed for separate retail sale.

Mandatory advisory statements & mandatory declaration of substances

Mandatory advisory statements & declarations of substances are required for certain foods including:

  • Unpasteurised milk and liquid milk products
  • Food containing aspartame
  • Unpasteurised egg products
  • Food containing quinine
  • Cola beverages containing added caffeine
  • Food containing guarana or extracts of guarana
  • Foods containing lactitol, maltitol, maltitol syrup, mannitol or xylitol above specified limits
  • Meat and meat productions fish & fish products

Certain substances including:

  • Cereals containing gluten and their products namely, wheat, rye, barley, oats, and spelt and their hybridized strains other than where these substances are present in beer and spirits
  • Crustacean and their products
  • Egg and egg products
  • Fish and fish products
  • Milk and milk products
  • Nuts and sesame seed and their products
  • Peanuts and soybeans and their products
  • Added sulphites in concentrations of 10mg/kg or more
  • Royal jelly presented as a food or royal jelly present in a food
  • Bee pollen and propolis.

In cases where mandatory advisory statements of the mandatory declaration of substances are required, the information may be provided either by a sign displayed on or in connection with the display of the food or verbally or in writing upon the request of the purchaser.

Nutritional labeling

If you make a nutritional statement in relation to food i.e. ('high in iron') you must provide nutritional information. It is simpler not to make any nutritional claims on any product as additional labeling will be required. When labeling of products sold at your event it is advisable to include some basic information to identify not only the product by also the maker of the product.

Labeling of products

You may wish to include some or all of the following information:

  • Name of product - ie. Joe's Jam, Chris's Chocolates or Strawberry Jam
  • Ingredient List - List ingredients in descending order of their proportion by weight or volume in the food
  • Date Marking - give the product either a use by date or best before date, alternatively you could give it a manufacturing or packed on date. Its illegal to sell a product past its use by date so be careful when considering any date
  • Weight of product
  • Name of manufacturer or organisation name.

Don't make any nutritional claims on any product or additional labeling will be required!

Suppliers List

It is a good idea to keep a list of suppliers that contribute to the stall. Give each supplier an individual number as they bring their goods along, and then label each of their products with their number. Don't forget to get the full details of your suppliers.

Number Name Products
1 Chris Jones
Gumby Drive
Back of Bourke
03 5333 3333
Chris's Chocolates
Chris's Homemade Goodies

Further Information

Further information can be obtained from our Environmental Health Officer or the following publications:

  • Food Standards Code
  • Food Standards Australia New Zealand Guidelines - Overview of Food Labeling, Legibility requirements for food labels, Information for food exempt from bearing a label, warning and advisory declarations, ingredient labeling, date marking, percentage labeling, food additives, labeling genetically modified food.
  • Nutrition calculator

The above publications and calculator are available from the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

We acknowledge the people past and present of the Wadawurrung, Dja Dja Wurrung, and Djab Wurrung tribes, whose land forms the Pyrenees Shire. We pay our respect to the customs, traditions and stewardship of the land by the elders and people of these tribes.

Page last updated: 12:10 PM, 28 June 2012
Disclaimer & Copyright  |  Accessibility  |  Privacy  |  Contact Us  |  Find Us  |  Subscribe