Heat Health Alert
Published on 23 January 2019
Heat Health Alert for the northern part of Pyrenees Shire
The Chief Health Officer has issued a Heat Health Alert for the South West weather district, which includes all of Pyrenees Shire for Thursday 24 January to Friday 25 January 2019.
Heat Health Alerts are issued when the Bureau of Meteorology forecasts temperatures above heat health thresholds for particular days.
To prevent heat related illness, residents are urged to drink plenty of water, avoid going outside during the heat of the day, limit physical activity and seek medical assistance if feeling unwell.
Everyone is also reminded not to leave children or animals inside parked vehicles.
In times of temperatures above heat health thresholds there are six simple rules people can use to stay healthy:
- Keep out of the heat – look for shade and wear a hat;
- Drink plenty of water;
- Naturally cool your home – close windows/blinds during the day;
- Talk to your local health service if you have a health issue;
- Check on people who may struggle in the heat; and
- Help people who are feeling unwell.
Council’s Avoca Visitor Information Centre will be open and offer a friendly air-conditioned environment.
Swimming pools at Avoca and Landsborough will remain open later on these days.