Proposed Drought Communities Projects
Published on 04 February 2020
In 2019 Pyrenees Shire Council was invited to make applications for funding of eligible projects up to a total of $2m under the Australian Government’s Drought Communities Programme.
The Programme documentation states that funding will target infrastructure and other projects that:
- Provide employment for people whose work opportunities have been impacted by drought
- Stimulate local economy spending
- Use local resources, businesses and suppliers
- Provide a long-lasting benefit to communities and the agricultural industries on which they depend.
These projects are intended to provide an immediate economic stimulus to drought-affected communities.
At the December Ordinary Meeting, Council approved the projects identified below for applications of funding under the Drought Communities Programme.
- Water supply infrastructure; renew and improve pumps, bores, standpipes and related assets for emergency and stock and domestic (S&D) supply across the Shire, including at Beaufort Golf Club
- Construction and upgrade of existing footpaths to a higher standard at locations across the Shire
- Renewal of Community Hall infrastructure and minor improvements incentive scheme at locations across the Shire
- Tree planting program for street trees in various townships Shire wide
- Recreational facilities improvement program for the upgrade and renewal of recreation and sporting assets at locations across the Shire
- Improve access and amenity at caravan parks and RV facilities including Beaufort, Avoca and Landsborough
- Place making in small towns; landscaping, tree planting, public seating, signage and other minor amenity improvements to implement priority works identified in the Pyrenees Futures Plans at locations including Snake Valley, Waubra and Lexton
- Linear Park landscaping, paths, etc. in addition to the skate park at Snake Valley
- Lake and Linear parklands, paths, tree planting, landscaping and amenity improvements at Beaufort
To view a copy of the guidelines, please visit https://www.business.gov.au/Grants-and-Programs/Drought-Communities-Programme-Drought-Community-Support-Initiative
For further information, or to provide feedback, please email email@example.com
Subject to applications being made and approved by the Commonwealth, works will be undertaken and required to be completed by December 2020.