Endless play opportunities in the Pyrenees
Published on 13 May 2022
Are you looking for activities for your little one? There are playgroups dotted across the Shire ready and waiting for you.
Council’s Early Years team runs supported playgroups in Avoca and in Beaufort. The community has playgroups in Avoca, Lexton/Waubra, Snake Valley and in Beaufort.
Play Therapist Bridget Dooley notes on PlayGroup Victoria’s website:
“The way that play lights up every area of the brain means that play is literally brain fertiliser and provides children with the optimal conditions to thrive.”
Playgroup days and times:
- 9.30am Tuesday: Beaufort Community Playgroup at the Beaufort Community Centre in Pratt Street
- 10.30am Tuesday: Avoca Supported Playgroup at the Avoca Children’s Centre (kinder)
- 10am Wednesday Avoca Community Playgroup at the Avoca Children’s Centre (kinder)
- 9.30am Thursday: Lexton/Waubra Playgroup at the Community Centre (building behind the Post Office)
- 10am Thursday: Beaufort Supported Playgroup at the Beaufort Community Resource Centre (Neill Street)
- 9.30am Friday Snake Valley Playgroup at the Woady Yaloak PS Snake Valley campus (old red brick building)
The Avoca Information and Community Centre also hosts Storytime fortnightly on a Friday at 10.15am.
Storytime at Beaufort is now running in conjunction with the Beaufort Supported Playgroup on a Thursday.
Supported Playgroup involves a facilitator supporting parents and their children, and it can be a great way to access help or to just enjoy the company of other parents.
“Council is proud to support the youngest members of the community to learn through play,” PSC Mayor Ron Eason said.
“Why not find a playgroup near you and start having some fun,” Cr Eason said.