Other types of waste

1. Overview

Items that can't be placed in your recycling or your landfil bins will need to be taken to a transfer station in the Shire for safe disposal.

This includes household chemicals, electronic waste (e-waste), oil, mattresses, and other items.

If you have any questions about waste or the transfer stations, please contact our customer service team on 1300 PYRENEES (1300 797 363).

2. Chemicals

Funded through the landfill levy, collected from all licensed landfills in Victoria, Sustainability Victoria provides a household chemical waste collection service to some Victorian municipalities on a rotating roster. The roster allows residents in Victoria to dispose of unwanted chemicals in their households when a service is in or near their own town.

Every household has products which are past their used by date or no longer wanted. The collection days allow for disposal of a range of surplus chemicals including old paints, poisons, pharmaceutical products, weed killers and rat poisons, kerosene and other fuels, oven cleaners, aerosol cans, pesticides, flammable liquids and other unknown liquids.

Sustainability Victoria runs regular Detox your Home events at different locations around the state.

Drum Muster program

Council has joined the national Drum Muster program and is now collecting empty chemical drums for recycling at the Avoca and Beaufort transfer station facilities. This service is particularly useful to farmers and others undertaking landcare works and will play an important role in reducing the amount of waste going to landfill.

Please note the following: 

  • Drums must be triple rinsed before being taken to the Transfer Stations.
  • Drums can only be dropped off at Transfer Stations on Thursdays.


3. E-waste

To protect our environment and recover more precious resources, the Victorian Government banned e-waste from landfill.

What is e-waste?

E-waste is any item with a plug, battery or cord that is no longer working or wanted. It includes a range of items from work, home and even the garden shed.

What can I do with my e-waste?

Recycling your e-waste is important and necessary. But it is even better is to try and avoid creating e-waste where you can.

If you have an item you no longer need but still works and is in good condition, consider trying to find a new home for it. There are many people happy to take quality second-hand goods.

You could:

  • offer it to friends or family, try swapping, or giving it away for free online,
  • donate it to a charity or not-for-profit organisation if they’re happy to accept it,
  • sell it – there’s a large market for quality second-hand electronics; you’ll make money and help reduce e-waste.

What is Council doing about e-waste?

Council has collection points at the Beaufort and Avoca Information Centres for:

  • household batteries  
  • unwanted mobile phones and chargers.

Beaufort, Avoca and Snake Valley transfer stations have e-waste collection points for items such as small appliances, fridges, washing machines, televisions and computers.

The following are free to drop off for Pyrenees residents:

  • televisions, printers, computer equipment (including monitors);
  • small appliances such irons, toasters and kettles ($5 per item for non-residents);
  • DVD players and microwaves ($10 per item for non-residents);
  • white goods like fridges and washing machines ($20 per item for non-residents); fridges will need to have an approved gas removal label.

We are working with Sustainability Victoria to make sure e-waste is collected and recycled responsibly. Visit Sustainability Victoria for more information.

Find out more about our transfer station fees.