Council election 2024

In Victoria, Council elections are held every four years, with the next election to be held in October 2024.

In a local council election, residents vote for people to become councillors. This means you are voting for one person from the council area to represent your section of the community. Pyrenees Shire Council is divided into five wards, with one councillor elected for each ward.

Download a map of the Pyrenees Shire ward and outer boundaries(PDF, 3MB).

Read Pyrenees Shire Council's election profile on the Victorian Electoral Commission's website.

Find out more about council elections on the Victorian Electoral Commission's website.

Unsure about the information you're getting about council elections? Sort fact from fiction on the Victorian Electoral Commission's website.



Nominating for election to Pyrenees Shire Council

If you're interested in becoming a Pyrenees Shire Councillor, you can find out more through the Stand for Council campaign, a partnership between Victorian councils and the Municipal Association of Victoria. The campaign aims to encourage prospective candidates to nominate, adding to the diversity of experiences, opinions and approaches that represent our local community. 

Find out more - including candidate information session information - by clicking on the Stand for Council link at the bottom of this page.


Enrolling and voting in council elections

All voting in council elections is by post. The Victorian Electoral Commission sends ballot packs to all enrolled voters to complete and send back. If you own more than one property in a council area, you only get one vote.

In a council election, there are two types of voters:
  • state-enrolled voters
  • council-enrolled voters

State-enrolled voters

You must vote in your local council election if you are on the state roll by 4pm on the day the roll closes. If you do not vote, you may get a fine.

To find out if you are on the state roll, go to Check my enrolment

Council-enrolled voters

Council-enrolled voters include ratepayers who are property owners, occupiers or corporations.

You can apply to become a council-enrolled voter directly with your council if you are:

  • 18 years or older
  • a property owner, occupier or represent a corporation
  • not a State-enrolled voter within the council area.

If you are on the council roll, you must vote. If you don’t vote, you may get a fine.

Learn more about council-enrolled voters.