Register Food Business

If you are opening a food premises or if you plan to serve food as part of your accommodation premises you need to apply to Register before you can open your premises. 

The Environmental Health Department at Council can assist you with setting up a food premises within the municipality.  Please ring and speak to an Environmental Health Officer on (03) 5349 1100 to discuss your plans and to arrange a pre-registration inspection.



Some businesses have a predetermined classification.   Ring and speak to an Environmental Health Officer on (03) 5349 1100 or visit Health Victoria - Food Business Classification to determine your business class.

If you are a Class 1 and Class 2 Premises you will need a:


Complete Food Registration Form

When you are ready to register fill out the application form.


Class 4 Premises must complete and return a Notification Application.


Registration Fees 2019/20

Food Premises Classification
Class 1 $ 555.00
Class 2 - Supermarkets $ 600.00
Class 2 - Other $ 480.00
Class 3 $ 349.50
Class 4 $     0.00
Community Groups - Class 2 or Class 3 $ 180.00
Business Dual Registration
Reduced Second Registration Fee for a Business to Register on Streatrader as a Mobile or Temporary Food Premises in Addition to Fixed Premises
$   90.00
Community Group Dual Registration
Reduced Second Registration Fee for a Community Group to Register on Streatrader as a Mobile or Temporary Food Premises in Addition to Fixed Premises
$   45.00


Please note permits may also be required from the Planning and Building departments. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all appropriate permits have been sought.

If you are planning to operate a temporary food premises such as a community fundraiser, sausage sizzle or cake stall you need to apply for a temporary food premises registration/permit:


Community Groups and Fundraising

If you are a Community Group doing fundraising by selling food to the public you still have certain obligations are under the Food Act.  Depending on what you are selling and whether you are operating from a fixed premises or from a temporary or mobile location you need to either register or notify with your local Council directly or via Streatrader. 

Please click on the link below to view a short video and interactive website developed by the Victoria Department of Health to help community groups understand and meet their food safety obligations.